Why should I schedule a home inspection?
MJS Home inspectors are qualified professionals who visually inspects the structure and components of a home and looks for any immediate or potential problems. WE provide a written report to you with a description of problem areas and may also include recommendations for further evaluation. You can go over the home inspection report with your real estate agent to decide how the results may affect the purchase of your potential home.
What does a home inspection include?
- Structural elements: Construction of visible foundation, evidence of sagging or bowing of the structure, floors and floor framing, walls, ceilings, stairs, drainage systems and window alignment.
- Safety: Operating fire and carbon monoxide alarms, fire sprinklers, condition of stairs, hand and guardrails, and garage door openers.
- Grounds: Leaks from septic tank, proper drainage, and condition of the house’s driveways, fences and sidewalks.
- Roof: Condition of shingles, any repairs/patches to flat roofs, clear vents, damage to chimneys, and properly working gutters.
- Exterior surfaces: Correct clearance between ground and siding material, condition of exterior paint or siding and properly working lights and electrical outlets.
- Attic: Sufficient insulation, proper ventilation, and any sign of leaking or water damage
- Interior plumbing: No damaged or leaking pipes, proper hot water temperature, as well as functioning toilets, sinks, bathtubs and showers.
- Electrical system: Up-to-code condition and type of visible wiring, and proper function of circuit breakers, outlets, light fixtures and fans.
- Appliances: Proper function built-in and free-standing appliances (stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, washer and dryer and all other appliances).
- Heating and cooling systems: Condition of furnace, air conditioning (temperature permitting), water heater, chimney and fireplace.
- Basement: Solid foundation, walls, and floors, with no signs of water intrusion or damage.
- Garage: Solid foundation, windows, ceiling, framing, roof condition, working garage door opener, up-to-code electrical system and proper functioning outlets.
- Insulation and ventilation: Insulation in unfinished attic and foundation areas, kitchen, bath, laundry venting systems and the presence of ventilation fans.